Looking for that First Job?
The Creston Museum has a short-term summer job available, ideal for a high school student or a young person seeking on-the-job experience.
As Museum Host, you are primarily responsible for delivering an excellent visitor experience to everyone who comes into the Museum. This includes:
• Providing a prompt and cheerful greeting, giving visitors an orientation to the grounds and facilities, demonstrating and explaining the Model Railway, and getting them started on their tour of the Museum
• Answering questions about exhibits, artifacts, and local history and giving full or partial tours of the Museum according to the needs and interests of visitors
• Helping deliver summer events and programs, including Pioneer Weeks and History About Town Week
• Staffing the gift shop and maintaining the cleanliness of grounds and facilities.
Depending on your skills and abilities, this position also provides an opportunity for an independent exhibit-development project.
Because this is a front-line visitor service position, you MUST enjoy working with people of all ages. Your friendliness, enthusiasm, and helpful, positive attitude will set you apart.
We can teach you everything else you’ll need to know, but if you have some or all of these skills and abilities, that will be an asset:
• Previous experience working with the public and/or in a retail setting;
• Good public speaking skills;
• A knowledge of local history or the ability to learn it quickly.
This position is funded through Canada Summer Jobs, which has very specific eligibility criteria. In order to apply, you must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or refugee; legally entitled to work in Canada; and between the ages of 15 and 30. Priority will be given to young people who are students and/or facing barriers to employment.
This position runs from 7 July 2019 to 31 August 2019. You will work 35 hours per week, though specific days of work will vary and will include most weekends. Hourly wage is $14.00 plus 4% in lieu of holidays.
To apply, send resume and cover letter to Tammy Bradford at 250-428-9262, firstname.lastname@example.org, or 219 Devon Street, Creston BC V0B 1G3. Deadline to apply is 4:00 PM on 15 June 2019.